Check out these new baggage rules. Check in with ease.
The criteria are:
- Only regular-shaped bags will be allowed at check-in counters;
- This means that the bags must have at least one flat surface to be accepted on the check-in system;
- Round or irregular-shaped bags will not be allowed at check-in counters; and
- Bags with long straps will not be allowed at check-in counters.
Why the change?
OR Tambo International Airport implemented new bag rules on March 25th 2019, aimed at preventing blockages and breakdowns in its baggage handling system.
According to the airport’s authorities round bags without a flat surface were the largest “source of jams” in the systems. These jams can shut down sections of the baggage handling. Terminal 1 at Dubai International Airport recently instituted the same kind of baggage rules.
If your baggage does not comply, what to do:
- Remove straps or sellotape them flat.
- Have round bags wrapped. They will incorporate a flat surface in the process.
Picture source: https://amadeus.com/en/portfolio/airports/brs-airport-baggage-reconciliation-system